Friday, March 19, 2010

Printing Press

Printing Press

1.

Can you imagine a world without books? I know I can’t! Books are so important to many different people like teachers, students and people who just love to read. Can you imagine trying to learn in school without a textbook? We read to learn, relax, be entertained, but also for many other reasons. The printing press is one of those life changing inventions that we like so much and continue to use daily. I'm sure no one expected the printing press to come as far as it did, but around 600 years later who could have guessed?

2.

Johannes Gutenberg created the printing press around 1440. So many things have come since the invention of the printing press. Newspapers, books and magazines are just a few examples. Also ink can be pressed onto fabrics and other materials not just paper. Anywhere you look these days you see printed words and letters.

3.

“The invention of mass printing practices changed our world and the print invention is regarded by many as the invention of the millennium.” Before Gutenberg created the printing press people had to hand copy the books out onto paper or scrolls. (juliantrubin.com)

4.

Just like with the television and movie blog I did the printing press uses word of mouth to spread the news about certain books and magazines. Communication through books is interesting because some books are autobiographies where you learn about other people life. It’s almost like a one way communication deal though. We learn about who we are reading about, but they will most likely never learn about us because most of time they have already passed on.

5.


Another reason the printing press is amazing is that it helps in shopping. Coupons, receipts, clothing and grocery ads all are printed onto their selected material. Without these printed products we wouldn’t be able to take a shirt back that was the wrong size or look in the Sunday paper to know what is on sale the upcoming week.

6.

There are way too many positive aspects to name off the top of my head. I mean seriously we have come a long way since the invention of the printing press. Books are probably one of the best things to come from the printing press. Where would we be without books!?

7.

I really can’t think of any negative aspects of the printing press. I mean I’m sure the machines break on occasion, but like I said before everything breaks eventually. In my opinion only good has come from the printing press.




1.Image: Ian Kahn / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=283
2.Image: Aleksandr Kutsayev / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=921
3.Image: Michelle Meiklejohn / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=901
4.Image: Pixomar / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=905
5.Image: Michal Marcol / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=371
6.Image: Marcus74id / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=472
7.Image: Salvatore Vuono / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=659

4 comments:

  1. Not sure how to comment, the availability of the printed word has without question changed the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coupons, but even those have advanced to online options! they now give you special codes if your using them online or some coupons are good only online! it amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have noticed that if you give a place your email address they will send you coupons and such..like American Eagle! it's just crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The invention of the printing press is without question in the top 10 greatest inventions of all time... Without it society (and thus the invention of other, more modern devices) would not have been able to advance nearly as easily.

    ReplyDelete